Causes and Treatments for Dry Eye7/2/2018
If your eyes feel itchy, or if you notice persistent burning or stinging sensations or redness in your eyes, you may suffer from dry eye. These symptoms are annoying enough, but in severe cases of dry eye, the eyelids may start to feel heavy and your vision may blur. This can make it unsafe to operate a vehicle and inconvenient if you rely on sharp eyesight at your job. Luckily, Fite Eye Center can help dry eye sufferers. Depending on the cause and severity of your dry eye, we have several treatment options available to alleviate your symptoms and help you see more clearly.
Common Causes for Dry Eye Symptoms
If you start to notice dry eye symptoms, here are a few of the most common reasons why eyes become deficient in tears and other natural lubricants.
- Certain medications (such as antihistamines, decongestants, and antidepressants) can inhibit tear production.
- If you’re a senior – or even over the age of 50 – tear production can slow down.
- Dry eyes may indicate the presence of diseases like lupus, scleroderma, diabetes, or a thyroid disorder. This is one of the many reasons why you shouldn’t ignore dry eye symptoms. Instead, seek advice and treatment from the professionals at Fite Eye Center.
- Women are more likely to suffer from dry eye than men – especially if they are experiencing hormonal changes like the ones associated with pregnancy or menopause.
- Seasonal allergies and exposure to windy or smoky environments can cause temporary dry eye symptoms.
- A Lasik or iLasik procedure can make eyes dry during the recovery period.
If you experience dry eye symptoms, you don’t have to endure pain or discomfort. Just make an appointment with Dr. Fite or a member of his team for quick relief and the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your vision is in good hands.
Possible Treatments for Dry Eye Symptoms
When you trust your dry eye symptoms to capable ophthalmologists like the team at Fite Eye Center, you can address the underlying problem and get the best possible treatment. For example, you may simply need a prescription to clear up the issue, or an FDA-approved device to temporarily assist your eyes with tear production. In some cases, surgery is required to produce long-lasting relief for severe dry eye sufferers. And, if this is the case, you can trust that the highly skilled eye surgeons from Fite Eye Center will deliver a minimally invasive procedure, a quick healing time, and the best possible results.
Call Fite Eye Center for Dry Eye Treatment, Cataract Surgery Clinton, and Eye Lasik Surgery
At Fite Eye Center, we want to you experience the very best in eyecare. We are a full-service ophthalmology office, offering everything from vision evaluations to Lasik eye surgery, to cataract surgery and glaucoma treatments. Call our office at (586) 765-0775 to make an appointment today or reach out to us through the contact form on our website.